Higher National Diploma in Classical And Computer Animation
Ballyfermot College of Further Education – CCH
2 year full-time course
This course gives budding artists the chance to express themselves artistically through the medium of animation, both classical (hand-drawn) and computer generated. This dynamic course provides the skills to take individual and group projects from conception to completion. The course aims to enable the student to develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques employed by the professional animator and to acquire the requisite skills for entry into Feature, TV or Computer Game animation.
2D Animation and Principles, Introduction to 3D Computer Animation and Modelling for Characters, Principles of Life Drawing and Anatomy for Animation, Visual Communication, Layout for Animation, Scriptwriting for Animation, Principles of Analysis for Animation. 2D Character Animation, Application of 3D Computer Animation and Modelling, Life Drawing for Animation, Visual Communication in Moving Image, Layout and Storyboarding, Production Practice, Historical and Theoretical Analysis for Animation
Career prospects; Further studies
Graduates may apply for the Advanced Diploma in Animation / BA Honours Degree in Animation in BCFE. The BA Honours Degree in Animation is certified by the University of Dundee Scotland.
Leaving Certificate/LCVP with a minimum HC3 in Art and one other HC/OA and three passes or equivalent or FETAC level 5 award with a merit profile or BTEC National Diploma with a merit profile. The academic entry requirements may be waived for mature applicants (21+)
- Students applying for Animation Courses should bring to the interview a portfolio of artwork completed within the past year demonstrating drawing skills and interests.
- This portfolio should contain: Four A3 size drawings from life or the human figure displaying emotion (anger, happiness, love, sadness etc). It is suggested that you ask a friend or family member to pose for these drawings and that you spend no more than 2 hours on this exercise. Quick sketches are better than finished pieces.
- Approximately twelve pieces of artwork (sketches and more finished work) including observational drawings (life drawing/still life), perspective drawing, some colour work and work of personal interest.
- A sketchbook of quick, 5 to 10 minutes, drawings from life (people, animals, still life, buildings interior or exterior).
- Please bring only original work. The drawings of established cartoon characters and work copied from books should not be included.
00353 1 6269421