Submit your events to GameDevelopers.ie by clicking here
- This event has passed.
Galway Game Jam 8
November 5, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 pm€10.00
Make a game in our 12 hour jam!
Make games. Learn stuff. Meet people interested in game development and have fun!
This gamejam we’ll be changing up a few small things in the hopes of making an even more enjoyable jam. We’ve been listening to feedback from our previous gamejams and this time we’ll be focussing even more on making. We’ll announce some of changes as we get closer to the event. We’ll be serving up some food during the event as always – please do let us know if you have any dietary requirements because we want to include you.
When: 9am to 9pm Saturday 5th November. (12 hours of jam!)
Google Maps: bit.ly/portershed
What do I need to bring?
- PC or laptop & its cables
- Keyboard & mouse etc.
- Headphones or earphones – No speakers allowed
- Any game making equipment you think you’ll need (e.g. graphics tablet, game controllers, VR headsets etc.)
- If you are travelling from outside Galway you will need to organise your own accommodation. There are hostels in the city with reasonable rates and Bed & Breakfasts on College Road are only a a few minutes walk from the venue.
Do I need to be a pro gamedev to participate?
No, not at all! The gamejam is for everyone from complete beginners to professional game devs. If you’ve never done anything like this before that’s totally okay. We would recommend having a look around the interenet for some tutorials in whatever aspect of gamedev interests you the most before the event, or attending some local game dev workshops – consider bringing a friend to work with! We will try to accommodate everyone as best as we can. Keep in mind there are some lovely folks attending these gamejams that would be happy to help a fellow jammer who’s gotten stuck.
Is it for computer games or board games?
Everything! You can use the Galway Game Jam to make any type of game.
Can I take part remotely/online? Can I still join the competition?
Can online/remote participants join the competition?
Yes. You must purchase an Online Competitive ticket before the ticket sales end in order to take part in the competion. For more information send us an email or leave a message on our community forums at https://itch.io/jam/galwaygamejam8.
Can I work on a project that I’ve already started?
The game jam is for making something new, however you can use the time to work on your own project. Note you won’t be allowed to enter the competition with such a project. If in doubt, message us or ask an organiser!
Can I use a game engine/library/framework/asset packs/royalty-free music etc?
Yes. Simply include the names of the technologies or libraries used in the description of your game.
Can I participate with a pre-arranged team?
Yes. As long as your team is no larger than 5 people.
Can you eat/drink at the venue?
Yes but we’d like you to observe some rules. Please use the bins for any rubbish you have. Please don’t eat or drink anything that smells strongly in the main game jam area. Please tidy up after yourself.
What kind of skills would be helpful at the gamejam?
Pretty much all of them! The aim is to make stuff and have fun making. We encourage everyone to plan for a (very) small game. For example, a game that a single person can play in their web browser and complete in a few minutes.
These skills can be handy, but by no means definitive:
- Game Design – coming up with game mechanics in systems
- Writing – weaving a story, giving depth to the game through lore.
- Programming – trying out making a game using programming language you already know, or taking some tutorials in a game engine and bring all the pieces together.
- Art – create beautiful (or horrifying) art assets, and maybe some animation
- Audio/Music – making some noise, and some music. A great way to boost percieved production quality of a game!
- Production – organisation and time management skills. If this is a strength of yours you could take the lead in making deadlines for your team to achieve at different points over the event.
- And more!
Of course you can always use the gamejam to try something new, and I totally encourage it!
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
The event is typically for adults. If you are under 18 years of age and want to attend, get a parent/gaurdian to contact us beforehand. firstname.lastname@example.org
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
There is a multi-story car park close to the venue. You may load/unload your vehicle at the front door.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
You can contact us at email@example.com, on our facebook page or twitter.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, if you have some form of ID then an event organiser will match it and check off your arrival.
What is the refund policy?
If you decide you don’t want to go to the event, please contact us before the event for a refund. 72 hours prior to the event we will no longer be able to refund tickets.
The name on the registration/ticket doesn’t match the attendee. Is that okay?
If someone else got you a ticket then that’s okay. If there are any issues then you agree to follow the course of action chosen by the organisers.