Home Forums General Discussion 30 Frames per Second vs. 60 Frames per Second

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Long read, but worth it:

http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html

Can you up games to run at 72fps by lowering graphical options?

Edit:
      Fixed link

Anonymous
      Inactive

Fascinating stuff. The author makes some good points about making on-screen content easier on the eye.

Speaking of which… LEFT-ALIGN YOUR FREAKING CONTENT JOSHUA! :mad:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Speaking of which… LEFT-ALIGN YOUR FREAKING CONTENT JOSHUA! :mad: [/quote:252839f8c8]
      LOL!!!! I Know!!!! After all that…he makes the most basic mistake… oh but hang on…maybe he was testing us… I think….yes…his work here is done! :rolleyes:

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’d love to know the references for this, all during the article I was hoping for references to papers, or some actuall research not a single thing. Now that said I believe most of it, but some things like the motion blur in films, I find rather dubious, not saying its not there it is, but I know from my own experience (Working in a cinema for 3 years, and actually doing Projection work) that not all films use motion blur, I have examined many films frame by frame (Looking for the best place to make joints to repair damaged film) under magnification and motion blur isnt hugely evident. For example Lord of the Rings, or Starwars Episode 2, Harry Potter the list goes on.

Does anyone know of good solid references to back up this material, just curious I would really like to know what FPS games should be playing at?

Cheers

Anonymous
      Inactive

Now that said I believe most of it, but some things like the motion blur in films, I find rather dubious, not saying its not there it is, but I know from my own experience (Working in a cinema for 3 years, and actually doing Projection work) that not all films use motion blur, I have examined many films frame by frame (Looking for the best place to make joints to repair damaged film) under magnification and motion blur isnt hugely evident. For example Lord of the Rings, or Starwars Episode 2, Harry Potter the list goes on.[/quote:49201df489]

Motion blur is not some tacked on post effect in live action movies, its part and parcel of shooting with real cameras. When the camera’s shutter is open longer than it takes for an action to occour, the resulting footage will appear blurred. In other words at your standard speed of 24 frames a second, the shutter of the movie camera is actually open during the movement of the object. Since the object is actually in motion as the image is being exposed, a blur is visible that follows the most extreme movements of said object. In CG, particularly when comping it over live action footage, motion blur is added to the 3d elements in the renderer, and the virtual elements would look ridiculousy out of place if it didn’t match the real “motion blur” of the physical camera. This is why the old stop motion effects in films such as “Clash of the Titans” or “Jason and the Argonauts” appear so disjointed, unreal and even ethereal, they didn’t have motion blur on the maquettes, as each model was moved a fraction and then photographed, so they were completely still in each frame. Your eye would instantly pick it up if there were no motion blur in a movie, you’re so used to seeing it that you probably don’t even realise it when you’re seeing it.

The frames of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Episode 2 are FULL of motion blur, anytime theres a fast paced action scene or camera move.

Some games are already trying to simulate motion blur, GTA 3 and GTA: Vice City had a “trails” option that could be toggled to give a ghosting effect on frames. Metal Gear Solid and Ridge Racer R4 simulated it also. I’ve seen examples in DirectX 9 or per object motion blur in effect, but its still very expensive.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.