Home Forums General Discussion 360 Ruining PC games ??

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Its just been announced that Oblivion, the follow up to Morrowind and one of the most fantastic looking RPG’s to date is being “dubbed down” so it can run on the 360. It no longer will use real time shadows and instead will use static shadow maps and only characters in the game will have shadows.

Although its too early too see how different the game now looks and im a believer that graphics are not everything I thought i’d ask these two questions.

1) Do and will PC games (one’s originaly developed for PC) suffer on cross-platform games ?

2) I thought the 360 could handle anything anyway ?

Thoughts….?

Anonymous
      Inactive

1) Do and will PC games (one’s originaly developed for PC) suffer on cross-platform games ?
      [/quote:6bb5a664f2]
      Depends how you define suffer. Some PC games may have slightly lower graphics as a result, but I’m not going to complain about little extras. While graphics can contribute to enhancing the experience, it’s the gameplay that matters. I don’t see why the PC version can’t have real time shadows and then take them out for the port. Most likely financial or technical restrictions, but it won’t happen for every game.

I find playing games to be much more comfortable on a console than on the PC. Who wants to sit at a desk with their face stuffed up against the screen when you could by lying on the sofa? The mass market agrees with me. That’s one reason as to why PC games aren’t selling.

[/quote:6bb5a664f2]
      The Xbox 360 is still in very early days and developers are only beginning to learn new things about it. Give it some time. Look at how far graphics on the Playstation 2 came from FIFA 2001 to FIFA 2006… Okay, bad example!

Anonymous
      Inactive

. I don’t see why the PC version can’t have real time shadows and then take them out for the port. Most likely financial or technical restrictions, but it won’t happen for every game.[/quote:5151c63132]
      Probably because 360 will be the primary release, making the PC release the port.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The PC version was the primary release until the 360 showed up, now that’s the primary release and the PC version is suffering because of it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yup, simple economics i’m afraid.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I find playing games to be much more comfortable on a console than on the PC. Who wants to sit at a desk with their face stuffed up against the screen when you could by lying on the sofa?[/quote:6aa73828c0]Skyclad does! Go figure…

Anonymous
      Inactive

[/quote:05e24bdbac]

Chuck Norris would roundhouse the cores out of the 360 anyday

Anonymous
      Inactive

I find playing games to be much more comfortable on a console than on the PC. Who wants to sit at a desk with their face stuffed up against the screen when you could by lying on the sofa?[/quote:e0270a8481]Skyclad does! Go figure…[/quote:e0270a8481]
      With a decent online experience, this may change. Not that I am actually plannign to *buy* a console. God no.

Dave

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hrm, having just completed GUN oh, 14mins ago, I can safely say that the majority of ports, especially console -> PC, still suck as far as I’m concerned…then again I am slightly biased after having to put up with some horrible moments encountered while clearing GUN. :?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.