Heathen Engineering has launched their first full featured game: Terran.
Found an empire and expand across the stars, command massive fleets in interstellar conflicts and pilot powerful warships as you battle for victory in Heathen Engineering’s Terran. Terran combines grand strategy on a galactic scale with real time strategy and 3rd person space shooter action in combat. You will develop worlds across thousands of star systems and research advanced technologies to fuel your growing empire as you struggle for galactic domination.
- Hybrid Genre: Long Term Strategy + Real Time Strategy + 3rd Person Space Shooter.
- Fleet Combat: Take control of any of your fleet warships in 3rd person space shooter action.
- Organization Types: Choose from one of 3 organization types, Government, Corporation or Armada and build your empire.
- Gar Capital Ships: Choose a powerful ornate capital ship with unique abilities to serve as the seat of your empire.
- Skirmish Battles: Quickly jump into fleet combat with the Skirmish mode.
The game is now available on Steam. To learn more about Terran, check out their website.
Insomnia Gaming Festival Coming to Ireland
International expansion continues of popular gaming festival
Insomnia is coming to the Republic of Ireland this November as part of a multi-year agreement with Irish events company, Omega Events Ltd. Established over 20 years ago, Insomnia now attracts more than 70,000 consumers for each UK event. The first International Insomnia event took place in Cairo in October 2018 and each International Insomnia event will mirror the UK’s proven formula covering all types of gaming from casual Battle Royale titles, to competitive esports events and popular zones such as Retro Gaming, Cosplay, Indie Zones and stage content.
Tickets for Insomnia Gaming Festival Dublin will be available soon but you can pre-register via www.insomniagamingdublin.ie. This unique partnership with Player1 Events will see a truly world class gaming festival coming to the RDS Dublin on the 9th & 10th of November 2019. The website launches soon so keep an eye out on https://insomniagamingdublin.ie/ for more information!
Animation Skillnet and Screen Skills Ireland (in collaboration with Eirmersive, VR Ireland, Animation Ireland and IMIRT) are programming two rooms with sessions and content on the theme of “Creative Technologies” at FutureScope 2019, which takes place at the Convention Centre in Dublin on Thursday 28th March.
Some of the biggest names in the Irish and International industry will be participating on the day, including Limina Immersive, Warducks, 9 Story Media, StoryToys/TouchPress, Artomatix, Pink Kong Studios, Black Shamrock Games, Vela Games and many more…
Topics to be explored through panels and presentations on the day include:
· Games Development in Ireland
Network in Play are looking to hire a graphic designer to create a document/s visualizing the findings from the research project on Diversity in Games for different audiences.
This job includes working with the researchers to define the project requirements and then creating graphics and layouts. You will shape the visual aspects of the document(s) which will be available in downloadable PDF format from www.gamedevelopers.ie/diversity and the main project website www.refig.ca. The goal is to attract and inform a range of audiences including: educators, researchers, and the general public.
- Develop a visual concept based on the research findings and materials in accordance with the project requirements
- Prepare rough drafts and present ideas
- Develop illustrations and other designs using software or by hand
- Use the appropriate colours and layouts for each graphic
- Work with project co-ordinators to produce final design
- Amend designs after feedback
- Ensure final graphics and layouts are visually appealing
- Proven graphic designing experience
- A strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics,
- Familiarity with design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- A keen eye for aesthetics and details
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Degree in Design, Fine Arts or related field
- Experience of data visualisation
- Experience designing educational materials for adults
Dates and duration:
This role is available on a part time basis but the work needs to be completed by the end of March 2019. The work can be done remotely although at least one face to face meeting will be required.
The role will be paid in line with public sector pay rates and experience. The nominated candidate must be tax compliant.
How to apply:
If you have excellent visual communication skills, work well in a team, and deliver to a deadline we would like to hear from you.
Please send a letter of application, a CV and links to three previous projects to email@example.com by Friday the 1st of March.
Deadline for application: Monday 11st of March, 2019 at 18.00.
About ReFig and Network in Play
The goal of the Network In Play project is to create games related events that put equity, inclusion and diversity at the centre.
This is both an academic research project and an engaged community project established by Dr. Aphra Kerr (Maynooth university and gd.ie) and Vicky Twomey-Lee (Coding Grace). Our project is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council in Canada via the ReFiG project. The ReFig project is ‘committed to promoting diversity and equity in the game industry and culture and effecting real change in a space that has been exclusionary to so many’.
The project began in Feb 2016 and we will complete our activities during 2019. We have designed and run a series of female friendly workshops that explicitly tried to address issues of diversity in games.
More info: https://gamedevelopers.ie/diversity/