Variable State is looking for a contract animator to work on Virginia. The start date is flexible, to begin any time between now and September, and will last for 6 months.
Applicants should ideally be based in Ireland, or failing that the UK.
This is a fixed term contract and will not lead to a full time position I’m afraid, even if you are entirely lovely. This is a paid position.
– Working with Terry, our art director on look and style
– Creation and implementation of high quality character animation
– Be a strong key frame animator with a good eye for performance
– Be able to create believable animations for a stylised, but not cartoony world
– Deliver work via Perforce
You must be able to:
– Provide a showreel displaying strong character animation
– Work in 3ds Max and Character Studio
– Export animations into Unity
– Have some skinning and rigging ability
– Work remotely, using your own hardware and software
– Participate in web-based company chat and video conference
– Be available for normal business hours in UK time / GMT+0
– Work independently with confidence, own your tasks and deliver to quality and to deadline, while providing your own embellishments
– You’ve experience creating cut scenes or or have worked in film and TV
– You have shipped PC or console titles before
– You’re familiar with Unity
– You live in or near Dublin, Ireland
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of age, gender and ethnicity, but, as women, LGBTQs and members of ethnic minorities are under-represented in game development, we would encourage applications from members of these groups.
Our ideal collaborator is someone who is patient in their dealings with others and who is thoughtful and conscientious in their approach to work. We like people who are open and communicative about what they do, who like sharing knowledge and enjoy educating team members about their field of expertise.
Interested? Please drop us a line with your CV and showreel to firstname.lastname@example.org
Oh yeah! Just to give you a bit more information about the game and the people you could be working with.
Variable State is a virtual studio based in the UK and Ireland. It was set up by myself, Jon Burroughs, and my friend Terry Kenny back in January of 2014. We each have over a decade of experience working in studio game development, which is partly why we’ve decided to do something a little different. I’ve worked at various times for companies like EA and Rare, Terry’s worked for Rockstar on the GTA games. We’re collaborating with composer Lyndon Holland, programmer Kieran Keegan, artist Matt Wilde and, from time to time, with artist Wayne Peters.
Virginia is our first game. It’s a first person interactive story, equal parts inspired by Twin Peaks and Thirty Flights of Loving. We’ve shown off a limited demo at trade shows and plan to release a full length version at some point next year. You can read some of the press coverage of the game here: Link!
If this tickles you and the job spec seems like your kind of thing please do get in touch. A word of warning: even though we’re a virtual studio and work remotely, we can only consider applications from people based in Ireland or the UK who are able to work during business hours in UK / GMT+0 time.
Thanks for reading. And thank you to anyone who has got in touch so far. I’ll try to get back to everyone in due course!