We had some of our concept art done before the competition but not a lot, just enough to communicate the look, feel and play style of the game. our 2d artist spent the first 3 days just bashing out concepts for the 3d models. We didnt come into the competition with much in the way of assets or code, but we were prepared to hit the ground running. Well on most fronts anyway. We did as much research on the engine we were going to use as possible with out buying the license, and banked on getting at least basic documentation with it when the competition started. Unfortunately there was almost nothing in the way of support or documentation with or without the license. That cost us about 2 weeks. We had planned for something like that happening but we did underestimate how much it would set us back. It bit nastily into our testing time.