Introduction to Games Development
Pulse College Dublin
6 week course
Take the first step on the road to becoming a professional game developer!
The course runs for 6 weeks and takes place at Pulse College Games Campus in both Dublin and Galway.
Over the course of 6 weeks you will learn the fundamental skills required to develop a first-person game from industry experts. You will work on creating a 3D first person narrative experience that tells your own story in your own game world.
You will work within a number of constraints to develop your own unique story and world while using knowledge gained from the disciplines of Narrative Design, Game Development, and Game Art to realise your own creative vision for this project.
In the development of this game you will follow iterative workflow that includes play-testing with your classmates, gathering feedback and making appropriate changes. At the end of the 6 weeks you will showcase your games to the rest of the class and get a chance to try your class mates games.
This course covers several key areas, including game development, design, art and audio.
- Industry overview
- Roles and career paths
- An overview of programming and game development using the UNITY game engine
- The use of assets such as audio and graphics in games
- An introduction to the UNITY game engine with C# to create 3D games
- An introduction to the game design process.
- Deconstructing classic games.
- Creating board games and physical prototypes for digital games.
- Play-testing games to gather feedback and iterate.
- The process of creating game art assets using Photoshop and 3D Studio Max.
- Exporting from a 3D package into a game engine.
- Exploring the different areas of game art including environments, characters, vehicles, props and art for special effects.
- Creating games concept Art
- Assessing game audio requirements.
- Basic recording techniques.
- Game audio development workflows.
- Digital audio workstations (DAWs) including an overview of Pro Tools.
- Non-linear audio for games.
The only prerequisite is a passion for games. Applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
Total Cost: €550
Balance: €450 (payable on start date of course)