Home Forums General Discussion 10/10

• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion gets 10/10 on Eurogamer

Gonna order this for the PC posthaste….

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63571

Anonymous
      Inactive

Been playing it today and its very impressive so far. The AI is not as impressive as I thought it would be but still is extremely good, and I thought there would have been a wider area to wonder around in, but still its a massive and well put together game…think its gonna consume any free time I manage to get

Anonymous
      Inactive

Room mate is playing it, looks great, tried it on mine and got angry at PC gaming never optimising for the little guys. I would think since I can play Half Life 2 on medium settings, then this should run atleast on the lowest of the low….fraid not

Anonymous
      Inactive

You do need some beefy hardware. A friend was saying it runs really bad on his FX 5900 Ultra, a 6800 or ATI equivelent is probably min spec to get it running at decent speed with decent enough visual settings. Shame.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      Anonymous
      Inactive

yea my roommate had to get a new gfx card to play it, so to play oblivion is cost him $370 including the game. Not far off the 360 price and I’m sure he could play Oblivion 2 on his 360 in 3 years time, not so sure about his PC then though, guess its the nature of the beast.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thats the main thing that really impressed me about Half Life 2 and the Source Engine, it looks and plays fantastic on my desktop machine, and plays just as well on my laptop with a crap ATI 9100 card (visuals not as good though obviously), with just as good frame rate. Really well put together engine

Anonymous
      Inactive

HL2 played great on my new PC the christmas it came out, but 2 weeks ago when I felt like playing through it again it was really slugish…same machine. I wonder if one of the many updates have screwed up something along the way. Steam insisted (I wasn’t allowed to play HL2 otherwise) on updating my Nvidia drivers on that occasion.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Funny you should mention that I have the same problem, though not with overall framrate and slowdown, around every 30 secs or so it judders as if its trying to access to HD for something and freezes the game for about half a second which is really annoying when in a gun fight and it never did it before and still does after a fresh reinstall of everything.

Anywho….back to oblivion….makes me wonder what It would have been like before they removed all the self shadowing from all the world objects. There was uproar when they announced that only characers would cast self shadows , but from the looks of it maybe its a good idea they did

Anonymous
      Inactive

Considers fresh reinstall…remembers that experience first time round……goes looking for tribes vengeance DVD instead

Anonymous
      Inactive

No overly impressed with the combat system. Severance Blade of Darkness had a far stronger combat system. Now that said I dont really go for games like Oblivion and I must say its a refreshing change from FPS, RTS and puzzlers.

Some graphical problems here and there and framerate can get choppY at times. It certainly has a nice atmosphere and its slow-steady pace is pretty cool. I love just walking around, although you would wish to meet more people around such as hunters, thieves etc but its early days.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thats the main thing that really impressed me about Half Life 2 and the Source Engine, it looks and plays fantastic on my desktop machine, and plays just as well on my laptop with a crap ATI 9100 card (visuals not as good though obviously), with just as good frame rate. Really well put together engine[/quote:2ff4731e25]

I would state same of the BF2 Engine, which to my utmost surprise, runs perfectly fine on my D600 (P-M 1.6, 512 RAM) with an ATI M9 32MB :shock:

(admittedly in 800×600 everything low :wink: – still, 35FPS+ in SP with 32 bots!)

I don’t think I’ll even attempt Oblivion, though :roll:

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have the collectors edition on 360 and its easily the best 360 game yet.would cost me a fortune to upgrade my pc enough to play it. I findthe combat system pretty good and I was expecting a bit more from the ai though….

Anonymous
      Inactive

(admittedly in 800×600 everything low :wink: – still, 35FPS+ in SP with 32 bots!)
      [/quote:f071b1c99a]

But truth be told the BF2 bots cant really be that processor intensive. They still attack tanks with knives, or has that been fixed?

Anonymous
      Inactive

But truth be told the BF2 bots cant really be that processor intensive.[/quote:3dbc0ee86f]

16 bots ain’t much, granted, but 32 is starting to stretch a tad. However, you tried running 64 of them, set to ‘expert’? See how your rig handles that :wink: (even with a 3400+ and 1GB of RAM, which isn’t fresh news these days but still fairly potent!)

But my comment was about the game (gfx) engine, which is not supposed to run on my D600 card (ATi M9, 32MB) by a fairly wide strecth.

They still attack tanks with knives, or has that been fixed?[/quote:3dbc0ee86f]

Don’t play tank maps in SP mode (which mode I don’t use often, truth be told), infantry only :D

Anonymous
      Inactive

Point taken :wink:

Anonymous
      Inactive

yeah oblivion is an awesome game!!! did famitsu give it 40/40?

LOL as for BF bots they are soooo dumb tell them to bail out in mid air and they do it! even if they are flying the machine!! BF 2142 looks good i think

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.