Home Forums #IrishGameDev in the News 300 new jobs at EA Galway

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      Aphra K
      Keymaster

good news.

they open up in galway and close in dublin. thats business I guess.

Aphra

Anonymous
      Inactive

While it’s fantastic to see more jobs arriving in Galway I’m not sure what these call centres do for the game industry as a whole.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well it’s 300, probably, low skill jobs to offset the 60 odd highly skilled jobs that EA have just axed in PopCap. EA have already publicly stated that they’ll be recruiting from abroad because they need people with specific language skills. The EA spokesperson even went as far as to say that this would help make Galway a ‘more multi cultural city’.
      IDA will also be part funding this from John and Jane Q Irish taxpayers contributions. So all in all, I’d say this is irrelevant (not games jobs) or worse case, bad (less IDA money for foreign development studios coming here to access) for the games industry here.

Though any newsagents, bars, renting agencies, drug dealers etc. in the vicinity will see a small boost in their traffic. Hooray! :/

Anonymous
      Inactive

@Roganski – Hear, hear.

It is all tech support jobs. Looked to see if they were hiring coders and they aren’t.

Anonymous
      Inactive

While I agree with the sentiment I think it’s important to bear in mind that numbers employed in the sector could have a bearing on future government/EI/IDA policy in relation to games. If numbers are on the up as a sector, regardless of the large scale investment being in call centres/localisation, then it makes further investment in the sector more appealing and allows for grants like the CSF for smaller indies.

Hopefully these smaller companies can grow into something bigger and generate development jobs within the country in time.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘#IrishGameDev in the News’ is closed to new topics and replies.